New Church Building Timeline
Timeline of the Grey Eagle UMC New Building Project
Week of August 12, 2007
- The building site was prepped for excavation by Art Johnson of Art Johnson Construction, and Duane Becker of Update Lumber and Supply of Grey Eagle.
- A sign proclaiming the future site of the Grey Eagle United Methodist Church was erected on the building site.
Week of August 19, 2007
- Excavation of the church site began. Twardowski Excavation of Long Prairie prepared the land for laying the foundation.
- The cement block foundation was laid by Beuning Masonry of Sauk Centre.
Week of August 26, 2007
- The groundbreaking ceremony was held on Sunday afternoon of Aug. 26. An antique one-bottom plow powered by members of the congregation was used to symbolically turn over the soil in what was a corn field just days earlier. The use of the plow symbolized the agricultural heritage of the church and the importance of the congregation pulling together.
- A well was drilled by Atkinson Well and Pump of Freeport. A strong flow of water was found at 52 feet.
- Backfill of the foundation and preparation for the septic system was completed by Twardowski Excavation.
Week of September 2, 2007
- Bitz Plumbing and Heating of Grey Eagle, installed the plumbing that runs under the floor.
- Grey Eagle Electric installed the conduits and electric in-floor heat cables that run under the floor.
Week of September 9, 2007
- The cement floor was poured.
- The framing walls were built by Art Johnson Construction.
- Sheeting went on over the framed walls.
- Interior walls were constructed.
Week of September 16, 2007
- Rafters were set in place.
- Additonal interior walls were built.
- Three people injured as 30 rafters fell into the interior of the building as a result of a wind gust.
Week of September 23
- The fallen rafters were removed and discarded. The injured workers were healing well and the insurance adjuster came to complete the paperwork for an insurance claim.
- Interior walls and the platform at the front of the sanctuary were built.
- A very successful hog roast fundraiser was held at the Lake Country Storage building next to the church building site on Sat. Sept. 29.
Week of October 1
- New rafters arrived and were installed on Wednesday.
- Plywood sheeting was put on the roof to give it stability.
Week of October 7
- Steel roofing was completed on the north side of the building and partially on the south side.
- Part of the main door canopy was built but dependent upon the shipment of a steel beam.
Week of October 14
- Most work on the building was halted due to rain that fell every day.
Week of October 18
- Windows and doors have been installed.
- The cement board siding is beginning to be installed.
Week of October 25
- Carpenters completed the steel roof.
- Plumbers installed plumbing lines for the restrooms and the kitchen.
- Electricians installed electrical outlets and light fixtures.
- Excavation around the parking area was completed.
- The installation of the sewer system was completed.
- A kitchen committee shopped for sizes and types of kitchen appliances.
Week of November 4
- Cement sidewalks and drivethrough area were poured.
- Electrical and plumbing work continued on the interior.
Week of November 11
- Electrical and plumbing work continued on the interior.
Week of November 18
- More siding was installed on the ends of the building.
- Stonemason, Tom Welck, began work on the stone facade.
Week of November 25
- The interior walls of the church were insulated.
- More plumbing, heating and eletrical work was completed
- Final specifications for the sound system were identified.
Week of December 2
- The sheetrock was hung in the west end of the building: classrooms, kitchen, restrooms and fellowship hall.
- The ceiling was insulated.
- Electrical and ductwork was done throughout the building.
- Framing of the front of the sanctuary was completed.
Week of December 9
- The sheetrock was hung in the sanctuary.
- The pine ceiling was installed in the sanctuary.
- Wiring for the sound system was completed.
- Seam taping was begun in the fellowship hall, classrooms and kitchen areas.
- The in-floor electric heat was turned on in the west side of the building.
Week of December 16
- Work on finishing the sheetrock wall continued.
- Work on the brickwork continued on the exterior.
- The kitchen and restrooms were measured for cabinetry.
Week of December 23
- Paint colors were chosen for the interior wall.
- Work continued on finishing the sheetrock walls.
- Cabinetry was under construction.
Week of December 30
- More ductwork was completed in the ceilings.
- Finishing work continued on sheetrock walls.
- The front doors were installed.
Week of January 6, 2008
- Painting of the walls was underway.
- Heating/cooling ductwork was completed.
- Sheetrock finishing continued.
Week of January 13
- Painting continued.
- Two windows that will house stained glass were installed. One is over the chancel area and the other is on the front of the canopy.
- More of the exterior siding was installed.
- Gridwork for holding the ceiling tile in the west end of the building was installed.
- More lighting was installed.
Week of January 20
- Painting and staining continued.
- Kitchen cabinetry and interior doors were installed.
- Ceiling tile was installed.
- Vinyl floor covering was installed in the west end of the building--fellowship hall, kitchen and restrooms.
Week of January 27
- Kitchen appliances were installed.
- Plumbing fixtures were installed.
- Entry doors and folding door was instralled.
Week of February 3
- Entry area ceramic tile was installed.
- Restroom stall dividers were installed.
- A Venitcian finish on the curved walls of the sanctuary was begun.
- The overhead door for the kitchen serving area was instralled.
Week of February 10
- Painting, staining and varnished was completed.
- Sanctuary entrance door was installed.
- The water pump and pressure tank were installed.
- A crew of 12 people cleaned the church on Sat. a.m.
- People gathered to write prayers and other messages on the sanctuary floor.
Week of February 17
- The carpet was installed in the sanctuary, conference room and Sunday school room.
Week of February 24
- The ceramic tile was laid in the entry.
- The vinyl tile received the finish coat in the fellowship hall, kitchen and restrooms.
Week of March 2
- Moving week. A large crew of volunteers moved the furniture, supplies, and kitchen ware from the old church to the new.
- Crews of voluteers organized the kitchen, fellowship hall, conference room, Sunday school room and installed the sanctuary furniture.
- The sound system was completed with the capacity to have sound in all rooms including an outside speaker under the canopy.
- The sound system includes special devices for the hearing impaired.
- Crews of people cleaned all of the furniture.
- Crew of workers washed windows and organized the church for the first service.
Week of March 9
- The first service in the new building was March 9, 2008.
- The final finish was applied to the Venitian finished walls of the chancel area.
Week of March 16
- The first fellowship hall service was held March 20, an Agape Supper.
- A service of Tennebrae was held on Good Friday evening.
- Tom Welck continued to work on the stone facade on the exterior.
- The final coats of varnish were applied to some window casings.
Week of March 23
- The first Easter Sunday breakfast was served in the fellowship hall.
- The first Easter worship service was held.
Week of March 30
- Siding was installed on the front of the canopy.
- The stone facade is completed around the entry door.
Week of May 26
- Tom Welck, stonemason, finished the stone work on the church.
- Work on landscaping began and lawn seeding was completed.
WeeK of July 13
- More trees and shrubs were added the the landscape. The garden outside the south windows was completed.
Week of July 20
- John Roe, Rod Thompson, Karina Roe and Loren Roe completed the installation of an irrigation system to water the lawn, trees and shurbs throughout the church property.